CLOGGED PORES – We can’t escape them but we can minimize them!
What’s going inside this PORE? 3 things. Mix these together, and you get a PLUG.
1. OIL (SEBUM) – This is the oil you naturally produce. Oily and acneic skin types produce more oil.
2. DEAD SKIN – This is skin that naturally sheds off and gets trapped inside the pore. Some people with acne have a very high rate of shedding.
3. BACTERIA – Acne bacteria feeds off sebum (it’s their food source!). After eating, they excrete waste. That waste inflames the pore and makes it bigger. If the pore gets very big, it can break through the pore wall. This causes an inflammatory reaction, and it’s how the painful acne CYST is formed.
How to Minimize Clogged Pores
1. To minimize OIL – Use a cleansing oil. Best way to remove oil is with an oil. Like attracts like. Don’t over-cleanse (2x/day is enough, 3x if you have a workout). Look for oil control products.
2. To minimize DEAD SKIN BUILD-UP – Exfoliate regularly. If you have acne, use a cleanser, toner, or serum with an AHA daily.
3. To minimize BACTERIA – Look for products with Salicylic Acid, which both exfoliates *inside* the pore and inhibits bacterial growth. Spot treatments with Benzoyl Peroxide and Sulfur kill bacteria. There are other anti-bacterial ingredients.